Made: RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller Case

Thing
Part/Model:RepRap Discount Full Graphic Smart Controller Case
Designer:Mightynozzle
Source:Thingiverse
Print
Printer:Geeetech prusa i3 pro B
Slicer:Cura 3.6
Layer Hieght:0.15mm
Print Speed:60mm/s
Extruder Temp:190°C
Supports:No
Notes:none
Material
Brand:3DFillies
Type:PLA+
Size:1.75mm
Colour:Black
Link:filament 1.75mm 1kg
Summary
Total Print Time:Top shell = 3hrs 40mins
Bottom shell = 3hrs (approx)
Display support housing = 37mins
Total Material Used:Top shell = 990cm
Bottom shell = 900cm (approx)
Display support housing = 161cm
Feedback:Issues with bed adhesion, ended up using blue tape and came out good on second print attempt. Great simple et well thought out design
Scorecard:8/10

I needed to make a simple housing for the RepRap Discount Full Graphic Smart Controller (what a mouthful) for the CR-10, the display to work in conjunction with the recently added MKS Gen L. I have not been using this screen as yet for a couple of reasons: 1- as the machine has a PI running Octoprint, I have been using this for my primary user interface to the printer, this includes running all my gcodes for prints and any basic machine control I need and 2- There is something up with the Arduino IDE and it is not allowing me to actually enable the screen via the marlin firmware, which to be honest is really a pain in the arse.

As I am currently working on a bit of an upgrade to the CR-10 once again I wanted to make sure that this screen is being used, not just chilling out in the packaging box from when it was delivered weeks ago and also as an alternative to relying on Octoprint all the time

This housing design by Mightynozzle is perfect for what I need, and the fact it is on a slight angle makes it a practical option for the application for which I need it for. It will make more sense once the previously mentioned upgrade has been completed but for the time being just finding this housing and how well it suits the needs for my particular build is a small victory.

The design is made up of a top case, bottom case, display screen spacer, reset push button and rotary button of which there are several variants available with the included STL files from Thingiverse or you can also do what I did and just use the standard rotary button which works perfectly fine too. There are some fine little details too, like the numbers 1 and 2 on the back of the housing for each of the ribbon cable plugs, I found this to be a thoughtful touch as it can sometimes be easily overlooked as to which plug is which. There is also an opening for the SD card slot making access to putting in and removing the card from the side of the display easy as, not that I was personally going to be using the SD card feature but its always nice to have this available should the need arise. The two halves are held together with a handfull of M3 screws which self tap into the plastic, the whole housing once all put together feels nice and secure and not flimsy in the least.

As I printed this on the Geeeeeeeeeeeetech the quality of the print is only meh at best. I am still fine tuning this latest printer and still seems there is plenty of room for improvement to be made with this el-cheapo prusa knock-off. One of the issues experienced was bed adheasion or lack there off. I was originally just going to let the curled up corners slide, but then came to my senses and just ended up reprinting all the parts which were done poorly on the first occasion.

Leave a Reply